Wednesday, November 25, 2009


Been a few days since my last post, I've been doing alot of tinkering lately in Autodesk Maya 2010, I believe I am finally getting more comfortable in the software. I'm currently working my way through a character modeling video tutorial. Video is by far the best way to learn 3d modeling or...well, anything really. I mean I learned alot of terms and functions of Maya tools from the Basics book but to actually see them utilized on screen is just 100 times better. I think the trick is to watch a tutorial all the way through first and only then scrub back and forth with the video in order to follow along and avoiding any potencial curve balls.




When I first got a chance to get crackin on Autodesks 3d studio max this summer i went full steam into it. As soon as i knew just enough to get some wind under my wings I really went for it, I wanted to make a T-rex (just like every other 3d modeler ever!). I knew i needed three refeance images , front top and side so I drew those up and imported them. It took awile to understand how to move around in 3d space and its a lot for someone completely new to the software. I figured out how to deform primitive shapes and move them into the correct spaces to form an image but all patch work. Looking back now on my breif little attempt before taking the time to study up I realize that I didnt have the foundation. My trex had no solid mesh, dupicated vertices galore just general chaotic geometry. Ive improved quite a bit since the model above.

No comments:

Post a Comment