Friday, November 13, 2009

My name is Rob and I have never blogged before. Upon hearing a story yesterday on NPR news station regarding the art of Blogging and its destruction of main stream media outlets I have decided to take up blogging. Don't get me wrong though I'm not here to destroy CBS or anything, Id just like to share some of my own news with anyone interested in hearing about my 3d Venture.

Whats a 3d venture you ask?! well you see I am slowly but shurely beggining to think of myself as an Artist. But first you need a little back story!

About a year ago I finally got fed up with the traditional college wrought that i have been on for two and a half years. I remember walking around my campus at Cal State East bay(Hayward) with the most hopeless feeling. Asking myself what I was doing there and looking at my half ass grades. I had to stop and take a breather, I did some time at a community colledge so I could slow down the pace but it was the same there too. I would start my class strong but as soon as the difficulty level rose I'd find myself asking why I should bust my ass studying anyway, whats the point. There was a time where I was considering just giving up on school altoghether. I know what your thinking, this poor sap needs a goal.

I thought long and hard about my future, about what I was good at and what I enjoyed. The answer was obvious to me from the start I was good at art, I was good at it and I loved it. I came to that conclusion over and over again. So whats the problem? Be an artist, right? oh, Ill tell you what the problem was, it was always that little voice in the back of my head that tells me
"I cant". That voice kept reminding me of every little negativive connotation of what it is to be an artist, to be broke for the rest of my life, to be judged negatively, the ever present uncertainty. Its the same voice that tells you not to take the plunge, to play it safe. I dont know about you guys but for me sometimes that voice can be very persuasive. On top of that was the cost of art schools, I had heard that they were expensive and boy was I right. My only option was compromise. If I was going to become an artist I would like to have the best possible chance for success and a decent carrer down the road. So I started doing some research and quickly found a medium in which i beleived that I could break the mold of what it means to be a traditional artist. That compromise came in a digital package.

I had seen advertisments for Expression college for Digital Arts before and I decided to check out one of their open houses. Soon enough after I made my decision to enroll in their 3d Animation and Visual Effects program in order to recieve my Batchelors in Applied Sciences degree. I decided to go back to my community college to knock out the last couple general ed credits I needed and did fantastic there (saved myself a nice 10k on tuition in the process). I was finally motivated. I have been pinching my pennies and doing great here at Expression. Ill post some of my art tonite. Its still 2d at the moment but Ill track my progress so you all can follow along and see if at the end of this windy road Im one of the 75% of my class who has a job waiting for me :D

No comments:

Post a Comment